Korean Government Scholarships Step By Step Guide
The Korean Government Scholarship is a scholarship intended for international students from all over the world who do not hold Korean citizenship to study all degrees (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD) in Korean higher education institutions. It is in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries.
Korean Government Scholarship Details:
- Host country: South Korea.
- Donor: the Korean government.
- Funding: The Korean Government Scholarship is fully funded.
- Degrees available for study: Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctorate.
- Study duration: varies according to the degree, as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree: 4 years.
- Masters: two years.
- PhD: 3 years.
- Study language: Korean. Grantees are also required to take one-year Korean language training courses at a language institution located on the campus of local universities. (But those with a Korean fluency score above level 5 on TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.)
- English Language Certificate: Not mandatory for the Korean Government Scholarship.
Learn about University of Cambridge United Kingdom Scholarships for International Students
Available majors in the Korean Government Scholarship:
Through the Korean government scholarship, you can apply to study any field, but you cannot study medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy through this scholarship.
Learn about the Germany scholarships for high school students interested in physical research
Korean Government Scholarship Schedule:
The dates vary according to the degree, as shown in the table below:
|Announcement released||September the year before the planned studies in Korea||February is the year of planned studies in Korea|
(Korean embassies and designated universities)
|October – November.
The previous year for planned studies in Korea
|March – April.
In the year of planned studies in Korea
|Release results||January in the year of planned studies in Korea||June in the year of planned studies in Korea|
|Arrival in South Korea||Late February of the year of planned studies in Korea||Late August year of planned studies|
Learn about Latest Fully Funded Postgraduate Scholarships
What the Korean Government Scholarship Covers:
The Korean Government Scholarship is considered a fully funded scholarship, as it covers all costs as shown in the table below:
|type of financial coverage||money amount|
|travel by plane||Actual amount of round trip airfare.|
|resettlement allowance||200,000 KRW.|
|living allowance||900,000-1,000,000 KRW.|
|medical insurance||KRW 20,000 (monthly).|
|Language courses||800,000 KRW (Quarterly).|
|Undergraduate tuition fees||Actual cost (but not more than KRW 5 million annually).|
|Excellent Korean Language Proficiency Award||100.00 KRW.|
|Search support||210,000 – 240,000 KRW (annually).|
|Printing costs (thesis)||500,000-800,000 KRW.|
|Achievement Scholarship||100,000 KRW (one-time only).|
Learn about Fully Funded Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
Eligibility criteria to apply for the Korean government scholarship:
As an international student who wants to study in Korea through a Korean government scholarship, there are some eligibility criteria and conditions to be met, as follows:
- Both the applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
- Also, this scholarship is for international students only, Korean nationals cannot apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants must be in good health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for an extended period.
- There is also a specific age for applying to each degree, as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree applicants: They must be less than 25 years old on the date of entry.
- Master’s degree applicants: to be under 40 years old on the date of entry.
- As for PhD applicants: They must also be less than 40 years old at the date of entry.
- You must have completed or scheduled to have completed formal education for all elementary, middle, and high school courses by the date of arrival (for undergraduate).
- If you are applying for a master’s degree, you must have a bachelor’s degree.
- If you are applying for a Ph.D., you must have a master’s degree.
- You must also have a cumulative GPA of over 80% from the last educational institution you attended.
Note: Applicants who have previously obtained any undergraduate program, master’s program or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program. However, a former or current KGSP scholar with an overall score of 90% or higher and a TOPIK Level 5 or higher, can re-apply for this program once either through the Embassy or University pathway.
Learn about Goethe-Institut Scholarships to study in German universities
Documents required for submission:
- A copy of the passport (valid).
- For applicants with a bachelor’s degree, a high school diploma or baccalaureate is required.
- Note: If you are in the third year of high school or the baccalaureate and want to apply for the scholarship, you can submit the first and second grades of secondary school and provide proof that you are in the third year of secondary school.
- Master’s degree applicants are also required to submit a Bachelor’s degree.
- Note: If you are in the last year of your bachelor’s degree and want to apply for the scholarship, you can submit the grades of the previous stages and provide proof that you are in the last year of your bachelor’s degree.
- But applicants with a doctoral degree, must submit a master’s degree.
- Note: If you are in the last year of a master’s and want to apply for the scholarship, you can submit the grades of the previous stages and provide proof that you are in the last year of the master’s.
- A motivation letter must be submitted.
- Two letters of recommendation must also be submitted.
- Attach the health certificate.
- You can also provide any other certificate that may be in support of your application, for example certificates of previously taken courses, volunteer work, etc.
Learn about Google Scholarships 2022 Worldwide for Students
How to apply for the scholarship:
There are two ways you can apply, which are as follows:
By filling out the application for the grant, preparing the required documents, going to the Korean embassy in your country, and applying for the grant directly.
You can go directly to the university. By filling out the scholarship application, preparing the required documents, and then sending your application directly to the university you want to study at and which is listed in the Korean scholarship institutions.
For more details about the Korean government scholarships visit the official scholarship website through studyinkorea .
Studying in Korea is distinguished by its world-class quality and universities ranked among the best in the world. Therefore, you can take advantage of the opportunity of the Korean government scholarship and apply for it after fulfilling the admission requirements and eligibility criteria and preparing the necessary documents to apply for the scholarship, and then apply directly and do not waste time